The Best of The Northwest is coming up in just a couple of weeks, March 26th & 27th... I gotta get to work! Any suggestions of what you'd like to see me do?
A couple of weeks ago, my friend Carol Davies called me up and asked me if I'd be willing to create a prop for the Edmonds School District musical. They're doing Disney's "Aladdin" (it seems like everyone is doing Disney's "Aladdin" this year... in fact, Edmonds is so fond of the idea, they're doing it in two different schools with two different casts! Meadowdale Middle School This weekend! Edmonds Elementary Anyway, I needed to make the staff for Jafar, the bad guy... remember him? So I grabbed a broomstick, some wire, a gallon of Elmer's Glue, Reynolds Wrap, some paper towels and newsprint, and a little polymer clay and went to work! But, of course it needed to be gold, so I had to make a trip to Lowe's for some spray paint... Instant Evil! Good Luck, Everybody!
"You have the right to remain happy" In the history of costume, has there ever been anyone as gleefully out there as Carmen Miranda? I know Lady Gaga is going for the outlandish these days, but there's something really disturbing about her look sometimes.And Elton John in his prime went for the car, but he'd do the full body duck suit and other conceptual marvels. Ms. Miranda just needed a bunch of bananas and something to hold them to her head. She'd slap that fruit on, match it with a sexy dress and sell it all through the sheer force of her talent and personality. I have to respect that . "You have the right to remain happy" appears courtesy of The Douglass-Geer Collection.
So I realized a couple of things this week. One was that I had been doing this a long time. Along with that, I realized that I've done literally thousands of pieces of wearable art and other sculptures over the years. And once they're out of my hands, I don't really think about them again.Part of that is just the nature of my work... I'm always looking for the next thing to turn upside down and use the wrong way. Truth be told, I think a big part of it is that I tend to barrel through life and not look back. Am I afraid that somebody is going to bust me for just making it up as I go along? Maybe so. But as I barrel along, some pretty remarkable things happen. Thia weekend for instance, I did a show and a wonderful woman rolled up on a scooter chair, clutching a postcard that I had printed at least six years ago (I'm sure she hadn't had it THAT long, but I know I haven't handed that card out in a couple of years). She told me how happy she was to find me and ...
Comments
Post a Comment